Auburn Girl

     I took the kids to Auburn today to see Mr. run in a 5K that finished on the 50 yard line of Jordan-Hare. I thought we would get to run through the tunnel too, but we didn't. It was cool to see Mr. and his long time friend Ken  run out onto the field, but that stadium is not why I love Auburn.
     The race started at Toomer's Corner, so I thought I best take the Wire Road exit to avoid getting stuck. Wire Road into Auburn is one of the prettiest drives. The farmland is slightly rolling (insert Bama joke here) and there are large tracks of woods. Not pine trees, but hard woods. The sun was shining through those old trees this morning and throwing shadows along the road that made me want to drive even slower than the Caddy behind me thought I was driving. Big houses, huge houses, have been built along the road in the past few years, but the old farmhouses still remain and even the beautiful little white clapboard church on the right-hand side.
     Since Mr. was not with us coming in, I had no one to ask, "Now where was The Duck?", but I wondered about it anyway. Things have changed in Auburn. New buildings. Swanky apartments. But Auburn is not a stadium, not buildings, not apartments. It's the way you feel when you first see...., whatever your marker is that says "I'm in Auburn." I don't think I have one in particular. Today it was the old truck stop at the Wire Road exit. Another time it was the Supper Club and thinking the only thing holding that place up is alcohol.
    It's hard to put into words what Auburn means to me. Even though it houses most of my "not-my-finest-moment" moments, I still love going back. I want the kids to love it too, but I don't think they truly will until they go to school there. Sitting on the concourse between classes, dorm rooms with no AC, getting caught in a torrential downpour, eating for "free" at CDV or War Eagle, living in the moment and not worrying about tomorrow (even though you should). Maybe it's the memories of the worry-free that draw me back. Whatever it is, I love it.
Mr., in white shirt, Ken in the hat.

Comments

Popular Posts