Mama Llama and Andrew Murray

Grace is not my strong suit. In fact, most of the time it's not even in my closet. I know God's grace (very well) and love that I live in it. But the grace that we are supposed to have toward others, our children in particular, is a mystery. What does it look like, for real?
     I first think Mother Teresa. That is grace. A woman dedicating her life to the street children in Calcutta, India. She lived in utter and complete poverty, like them, to minister to them. That, as I said, is grace. I don't see myself anywhere close to doing anything like Mother Teresa, and after watching Slum Dog Millionaire, never ever going to India. So I ask again, what does everyday grace look like, for real, for me?
     This is where Mama Llama comes in. my son loves the book Llama Llama Mad at Mama because he is mad at me a lot. Most of this anger stems from not taking him to Toys R Us daily. So, after our umpteenth time reading Llama Llama, it hits me. Mama Llama is giving little Llama, in the middle of the llama drama, grace. Pure and simple.
        "Flying pasta, spraying juice. Paper towels rolling loose. Coffee, bread and chips galore. Shoes and sweaters hit the floor. Crash the cart and smash the signs. No more waiting! No more lines! Out go socks and Cheezee Puffs....Llama Llama, that's enough! Please stop fussing, little llama. No more of this llama drama. I think shopping's boring, too- but at least I'm here with you."
 I would have hit the ceiling, but not Mama Llama. Instead of the day ending with lots of tears and yelling (from all involved) she says I love being with you, no matter what. Why can't I do that?
     A new favorite book of mine is Humility by Andrew Murray. Slightly different read than Llama Llama, but a great one.  This quote screamed out at me, concerning my little ones,
     "Amid temptations to impatience and irritableness, to hard thoughts and sharp words that come in response to the failings and sins of fellow-Christians, the humble person carries the oft-repeated injunction in his heart and shows in his life: "Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another even as the Lord forgave you." He has learned that in putting on the Lord Jesus he puts on the heart of compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and long-suffering." 
     In short, grace is to humility as llamas are to 19th century preachers.

Comments

Popular Posts