Art's Music Shop...Be Cool

     Art's Music Shop has been in Montgomery for almost forever. It sells guitars, drums, keyboards and all sorts of music-type things that musically inclined people may need. So when our ukulele had to be repaired after an unfortunate incident, Art's was the only place I knew to go.
      I don't think, actually I know, I have not been in there since high school. My best friend Elizabeth and I would go to Art's, in high school, with various boys who were in various "bands" and ponder the differences between this drum stick and that one (there are differences?). We played it cool. We had to, because between the two of us our musical talent ended with our ability to listen to music. But that is what Art's does to you, it brings on the intense need to act cool - much cooler than you really are. And, it happened to me again today.
     Son and I go in to pick up the repaired ukulele and for the tenth time I am asked, rather rhetorically, "is this sentimental?" (Yes, Mr.'s grandmother gave it to him when he was Son's age).  Finally the long haired guy who is tuning the thing tells me that we could have bought a new one for what it costs to have this repaired. Yea. As we are waiting, a young girl walks up in her Doc Marten's and black tights to talk with the long haired guy about her new ukulele and they discuss how the ukulele is making a comeback. I wander off. 
     Once Son has said ukulele in hand, he tells the long haired guy that he is going to learn to play Imagination Movers and scampers away to the sheet music (he spied the music when we dropped the ukulele off). The Doc Marten girl and I are at the counter to pay at the same time. She is buying some little hand-held tambourine with out the tambourine thing and discussing with long haired guy and now, an older long haired guy how she loves "interesting percussion". The two guys she is with saunter up from the drum section and I figure they must be in a band. Long haired guy says something else to her and she says, "I don't play any instruments". I guess she is just "with" the band.
     As I pay for the repair, the long haired guy asks something about the Imagination Movers. I tell him, in a voice 2 octaves lower than normal and a little raspy, that they are pretty good for a kid-band and that some of the members were in They Might Be Giants. (What??) So not cool.

Comments

  1. I think a few of the boys we were with only played air guitar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts