Summer Blueberry Muffins

As soon as my mother let me cook in the kitchen, I was making blueberry muffins. I was fascinated by the blueberries in the tin that came all the way from Maine. It never dawned on me that we grow some pretty tasty blueberries right here in the South!

This recipe that I found in Williams-Sonoma  Baking  deserves my grandmother's notation "good and easy".  The original recipe is for raspberry-lemon muffins, but blueberries work well too.


Blueberry Muffins

2 cups flour (fresh from a granary if you can get it: Oak View Farms in Wetumpka, AL is a great source)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 eggs
2/3 brown sugar (I use dark brown)
6 tbs unsalted butter, melted
Zest of one lemon
1 cup fresh blueberries (or raspberries)

Preheat oven to 425 and grease your muffin tins for 12 muffins. I use Crisco to grease pans because it gives the baked good a crisper crust (not mushy). Or use cup liners.

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix, with a whisk, the eggs and brown sugar well; then add the milk, butter and lemon zest. Mix well.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until moistened. Fold in your berries. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full and bake 15 - 18 minutes. Cool a bit on a wire rack. Eat.

Comments

Popular Posts