Back from Summer, more or less.

It has been more than a month since my last post. I have no excuses. Well, really I have a lot of excuses just none of them would hold water. I have an idea here and there...but nothing to complete a story.

Idea #1: Talk about my grandfather, my father's father, Cornelius Herbert Harrell, Sr. I don' t know that much about him. I know he served in World War I in the 42nd Infantry, known as the Rainbow Brigade, as an engineer. I know he served in France and then returned, or stayed on, and rebuilt bridges around the French countryside. I know he smoked a pipe.  I know he married late in life to a much younger Mary Morgan, from where I get my seldom used first name 'Mary'. I know he and his father owned a successful gravel quarry in Flomaton until the Great Depression. I know that during the Depression, or maybe toward the end, he moved his family to Capital Heights in Montgomery where he headed up the WPA. I know my grandmother died when my father was a teenager and he and my grandfather moved in with my aunt and her children. I know my father wouldn't let my grandfather go with him to buy his first car because he knew the dealer would give a teenager a better deal.  I know he died right around the time my parents were married. My mother just gave my son his Great- Grandfather's hairbrush.

His initials are CHH. 
Photos from the quarry.


Idea #2: Talk about Tim Keller's book Jesus the King. It's really good. You should read it as my review would not do it justice.

Idea #3, or, What I am really going to talk about: I have 467 recipes pinned onto my Pinterest boards. I have used about four. I need to use all of them or else come to the realization that Pinterest is a huge vacuum that sucks you in via pretty pictures. I thought about doing 30 days of Pinterest recipes, cooking a different recipe everyday and blogging about it. Since I do not live in a world where all I do is cook and write, alas, I will have to take what I can get. Here is my first entry...
Energy bars. 

Home made energy bars: these turned out to be really, really good. And best of all, the recipe from Pinterest was easy to follow and correct! Three ingredients, dates, peanuts and chocolate. These took less then 10  minutes to make. The kids in my house love them as well as the adults! You could probably substitute whatever nut you want. I keep them in the refrigerator.
Click here for the recipe. 
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts