Lick Skillet

Southern small towns derive their names from a variety of places. Some from old Indian names like Tallassee (Talisi). Others because the train or ferry stopped there, Thompson's Station and Millers Ferry. Family names grace the green highway signs of many, many towns paying homage to the industrious family that put down roots there - Prattville. Every now and then a town will acquire an interesting nickname like Slapout. Some town names are just plain odd and you wonder how they got their name, Burnt Corn and Lick Skillet are perfect examples. A little googling and I found out there are several stories about Burnt Corn, all having to do with, burnt corn. Lick Skillet is the original name for Oxford, Al. There are lots of well-seasoned cast iron skillets around the South, and I bet after a good meal, some folks have said, "Mama, that supper was so good, I could lick that skillet!".

Thus the topic of my post. Mr. and I purchased our cast iron skillet right after we got married. We were living in Auburn at the time and I was going to attempt to fry chicken and knew that a cast iron skillet was extremely important to that process. We made a trip to Auburn Hardware, now closed and home to a bar. It was one of those real hardware stores. With nails, ropes, paint, saws, hammers, Terra Cotta pots, cast iron cookware, and cute acrylic serving pieces. I think we paid $14 for my 10-inch skillet and I then made my first and last batch of fried chicken. One day I will try again, I promise.

I use my skillet for cornbread, of course, and hamburgers and steaks. I grew up with Mama cooking hamburgers and steaks in her cast iron skillet, and that is my all time favorite way to cook a hamburger. I do prefer a grilled steak, and Mr. grills a mean ribeye by the way. But a hamburger frying in its own grease in an iron skillet, heaven. Drop the buns in the hot grease for a minute or two...comfort food 101.  So here is my recipe for hamburgers in a cast iron skillet. If you can find a hometown hardware store, purchase your skillet there. (Let's keep these guys around!) But don't actually lick the skillet.


Skillet Hamburgers

Put the hamburger meat in a bowl and season, to your liking, with Derk's Dirt or Moore's Marinade. Shape your patties making an indention with your thumb in the center; this keeps them from "bubbling up" in the center when you cook them. Place patties on a platter next to the stove for easy placement into skillet.


For the skillet- make sure it is well seasoned. To season your skillet, rub inside liberally with vegetable oil. Put face down in a 200 degree oven, place a cookie sheet lined with foil on a rack below the skillet. Heat for two hours.






To cook the burgers: Heat skillet super hot on the stove. You know it is ready when you sprinkle the skillet with a little water and it sizzles and the water evaporates immediately. Place two to four patties in the pan, depending on the size of pan and patties. Cook until desired doneness. Don't press down the burgers or the juices will all run out! Keep warm on a platter until all are finished cooking. Turn off heat under skillet and place your buns, inside down, in the hot grease for about a minute. To melt cheese for a cheeseburger, place the cheese slices on your burger a minute or two before it is ready. "Tent" aluminum foil over the skillet to keep the heat in and quickly melt the cheese.

You are welcome.

Comments

Popular Posts