Cookie War.

I have found a quick and easy and so, so, good chocolate chip cookie recipe.  In fact, it is so good it is very hard to keep my children, and husband and me, from eating them all in one day. I listen for the distinctive "clink"  of the cookie jar to bust my little cookie-theives.


 The recipe comes from the 1964 printing of Joy of Cooking. The recipe book was my mother's and it is my go-to for almost everything. The recipes are simple, coming from a time when you could not buy whatever you wanted at the grocery store. In fact, I have yet to run across a recipe with feta in the list of ingredients. It does, however, include a recipe for whale. Yes, whale.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream 1/2 cup butter with
1/2 cup white sugar and
1/2 cup brown sugar
Beat in 1 egg and
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Sift and stir in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and
1/2 teaspoon salt and
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Then stir in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Drop on a cookie sheet (I use Pampered Chef stoneware for these cookies). Grease the cookie sheet if you do not use stoneware. Bake for 10- 12 minutes. (My oven takes 11 minutes). Cool on a whire rack and prepare to stand guard!

What is so great about this cook book, is that it does not only contain recipes, but how to make them. (For example, removing the blubber from the whale). It is truly step by step. Each chapter and section teaches you about food and cooking. It is a wonderful resource and still in print. I think the newer versions do contain feta recipes (and not whale).

Comments

Popular Posts