Connecting the Dots

I am slightly nerdy when it comes to grammar. While I never enjoyed diagramming sentences as a 6th-grader, I did and still do love a sentence that is grammatically correct. I mean, who doesn't? Grammar often can change the meaning of a sentence; entirely. And many times without the knowledge of the writer, or speaker. I come by this affection naturally. A long standing family joke has to do with a dangling participle. This was my grandmother's favorite funny story; I am not sure if this instance occurred when she was teaching or helping one of her children with homework but the sentence was written, "Mrs. Smith received a letter from her dead husband in the mailbox." Hilarity ensued as they tried to get Mrs. Smith's dead husband out of the mailbox and correct the dangling participle. That story never gets old.

For me, it's not only grammar but the words used to paint the picture. Some of my favorite authors, Fitzgerald and Hemingway, are masters of this art. One of my new favorite books, The Education of Little Tree by Forest Carter, is full of beautiful paragraphs of a little boy following along after his grandfather in the foothills of the Appalachians. On a recent trip to Tennessee I could imagine Little Tree and his grandfather walking the mountains that rose up right along the interstate. (Read the book if you haven't.) But I ramble to my point. I love the way the Bible is so connected by well constructed sentences and word pictures, among other things. I love that while I am reading one verse it reminds me of another and my mind will begin to connect the dots. Below is my latest dot-to-dot:

While reading Jeremiah 51:15-19, "It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens. When he utters his voice there is a tumult of waters in the heavens, and he makes the mist rise from the ends of the earth, He makes lightning for the rain, and he brings forth the wind from his storehouses. Every man is stupid and without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols, for his images are false, and there is no breath in them. They are worthless, a work of delusion; at the time of their punishment they shall perish. Not like these is he who is the portion of Jacob, for he is the one who formed all things, and Israel is the tribe of his inheritance; and the LORD of hosts is his name."

My mind then went to Hebrews 4:12, " For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of the soul and of spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning thoughts and intentions of the heart."

And from there to John 1:1-2, " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God."

Then back to the Old Testament in Ezekiel 37: 4-6, " Then he said to me, "Prophesy over these bones, and say to them, O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. Thus says the LORD God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live, and you shall know that I am the LORD."

And finally to Psalms in Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me and lead me in the way everlasting!"


Comments

Popular Posts