Merry Christmas; Short but Sweet.

I am waiting on the rice. I had planned to make Wine Rice from the Blue Moon Cookbook for Christmas lunch at my mother's but used all the onion yesterday, so I decided to switch to Orange Rice. It has turned into a combo of the two recipes as I did not have sherry, for the orange rice, but did have the wine. We shall see how Orange/Wine Rice works out.

This part of Christmas is the quietest. Breakfast is complete, gorilla bread, and the kids are engrossed in their gifts. My daughter is playing teacher with her new office supplies, dry erase board, and rolling desk chair. My son moves from Legos to Kindle to Legos to Kindle. Soon the grandparent marathon will begin.

I spent my early years on the road to and from Union Springs, to no surprise to my few regular readers (hey ya'll!). Christmas Eve we would all descend on my grandmother's for a wonderful dinner and presents around a small cypress tree Doc cut down from a far-off field. My Cope cousins went to their other grandparents, and the Blue-Gray Game, on Christmas Day so this was our celebration. We never spent the night, for whatever reason. But drove back to Montgomery rather late and I would always look up at the sky watching for Santa. Never saw St. Nick, but the stars were beautiful and that clear moon would follow us all the way home.

We would drive back out to her house for lunch on Christmas Day. Usually an entire different set of relatives joined us, but also many from the night before. More good food, more presents, then the adults would excuse themselves to go "stretch out for a few minutes". That means take a nap. The kids never did.

Comments

Popular Posts