Circumstances, Shmirkumstances

I am one of those Moms. Sometime last year my two were in the backseat and posed the question, "Is the tooth fairy real?" I was quiet for a few minutes trying to think of how the story of the tooth fairy originated, then wondering how to bring the tooth fairy around to Jesus as I do with Santa and the Easter bunny, but I had nothin'. So, I told my children that there was no such thing as the tooth fairy. Sorry if that caused strife at your house, I take full responsibility.

Fast forward to the recent weeks. My son lost his first tooth and the tooth fairy subject came up again. He said he knew she wasn't real and even told me how much money to leave. He got a quarter and I left the tooth on his dresser. He is a collector so I knew his tooth would find its way into his collection box, and, I couldn't find it in the dark. Needless to say when the morning came he was not the least bit happy with the monetary amount or the fact that his tooth was still there (which he promptly stowed away in his box).  This week he lost tooth number two. After displaying the hole in is mouth while at school he told me of a friend's tooth fairy experience. This buddy puts the tooth in a jar filled with water; the tooth fairy then comes and swims in the water during the night changing it a lovely sparkling color. Before bed he fixed an old honey jar full of water, tooth sunk on the bottom. He did request his money before he fell asleep. I upped the anti and gave him $1.  Later in the night I took the tooth, as per request from last time, and scattered some blue body glitter left over from Halloween, which floated on the water surface magically I might add. Morning comes. First question, " Why did the tooth fairy take my tooth?" Next question, " I want my tooth back Mama." I can't win for losing. I didn't tell him the tooth was in the trash can.

How can I make this one happy, content, satisfied with his circumstances? The tooth is not an isolated incident. He always wants  more, what he does not have. Tires of toys shortly after aquiring them. Wanting the bigger better version. Even versions not out yet, like the "iPhone8 or 9". (Currently he has no iPhone, thus iPhone0) He discovered the Amazon app that came on our computer and subsequently fills my "cart" with his desires. Thank you Amazon. And then there's my younger one. Content with a rock that looks like a sailboat. A grandmother-led carte blanche shopping trip to Walgreen's will produce a pack of gum or bag of Swedish Fish. How is it possible that these two chick-a-dees live in the same house, are governed by the same rules? Where did we go wrong?!?!  Is it birth order? Boys vs. Girls?

No, it is simply sin. Our sinful nature rearing it's ugly head in covetousness, just plain grumbly-ness. We are a household full of sinners. I can't get upset that he, or she, is acting the way an unrepentant, or even a repentant, sinner is going to act. I have begun, in earnest, searching out the "teaching moments". Drawing out his (and her) reasoning for why he wants new things - when he can't find the things he has. Breakthrough last week. "That (game) isn't exciting anymore." Little one, no thing will ever be continuously exciting. No thing will make you happy, content, satisfied for ever. No thing will fill that space in your heart that is designed for one purpose. You can try and fill it up with things, people, activities, mantras, rules, regulations, theology, traditions. Nothing fills up that space permanently and completely. It's because God designed it specifically for the Holy Spirit to dwell in you. Once he's there, you will feel full. You will be complete. You will have endless joy because your fruitless efforts to fill up that space will cease.

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret to facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13


Comments

Popular Posts