Just a Little Peace

I have been thinking lately about peace. Not necessarily world peace, though thad-be nice, but the kind of peace people talk about having all to themselves. Is that even possible and does it look the same for everybody?

I think there are several types of peace and, dependent upon to whom you talk, definitions may vary. For example, a peaceful moment for me is cooking in the kitchen. Cooking something good and with more than one step requiring me to don my "readers". I like to mix and mingle ingredients into a recipe that weren't there to begin with. Stir and taste, add something else, stir and taste again. Maybe a little music is playing in the background. Could be inspirational or groovy or the theme song to Word Girl or my children's laughter. Doesn't really matter, just as long as I move along with the rhythm, stirring and tasting. My stress level decreases, my happiness increases. That is my peace; but I know it is only on the outside. Soon enough the peace is broken.

My husband finds his peace in doing. Doing for others. Getting things done. Making a game-plan.  Marking something off of a list. He loves a spreadsheet more than anyone. When he sits still, he is thinking, planning, plotting. There are more tiny scraps of paper around our house than Legos -  random budgets, things-to-do-before-something lists, all-we-need lists. Drives me bananas. But that is his happiness, his peace, but only on the outside. Soon enough the peace is broken; I throw away a list.

I don't think we can find peace in this world. Not constant peace. Not peace that will not fade. There are too many variables, too many people. As Jesus says in John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."  One of my favorite hymns is Peace, Perfect Peace:
     Peace, perfect peace, in this dark world of sin? The blood of Jesus whispers peace within.
     Peace, perfect peace, by thronging duties pressed? To do the will of Jesus, this is rest.
     Peace, perfect peace, with sorrows surging round? On Jesus' bosom naught but calm is found.
     Peace, perfect peace, with loved ones far way? In Jesus' keeping we are safe and they.
     Peace, perfect peace, our future all unknown? Jesus we know, and he is on the throne.
     Peace, perfect peace, death shad'wing us and ours? Jesus has vanquished death and all its pow'rs.
     It is enough: earth's struggles soon shall cease, and Jesus call us to heav'n's perfect peace.


Comments

Popular Posts