A Life of Sundays. Sunday Dinners, that is.

I just got in from the grocery store where I saw two of my favorite cousins. They are so, for one of many reasons, because we share the love of cooking and feeding people. We love to see others enjoy the fruits of our labor. Paul brought us supper when Son was born and I still think about that supper six years later. It was a creamy shrimp dish cooked in individual ramekins and accompanying sauce. As he left, Paul gave us explicit instructions on how to invert the ramekins on a dinner plate so that the molded casserole would come out perfectly, and how to drizzle the sauce. He said, "humor me". We did, and felt very elegant as we ate our individual shrimp casseroles placed perfectly on our plates and dressed with a light citrus sauce while we stared at this small thing in a bouncy seat.

As you may realize by now my love of food and entertaining comes from my family so if other members share this passion we all come by it quite naturally. One tradition that I can't claim strictly for our family is Sunday dinner. A tradition in Southern families and, dare I say it, all around the world, that has stood the test of time. My cousin Paul, I believe, lives for this weekly meal. He and his wife always prepare something new, maybe not always, but more often than not. This tradition for him began as he and his family would gather at his mother's, my aunt, weekly after services. Sometimes there would be a good crowd, sometimes just the three of them. But the preparation time would be as sacred as the meal. The doors to the patio would be open days the weather would allow. Smells of garlic and herbs drifted out over the many pinks and whites and blues dotting the flower pots and beds around the patio. My aunt would be sitting outside on her chaise lounge or inside on the sofa, and they would discuss the week's events, political and otherwise. It was always a pleasure when we were able to join them.
Aunt Ann, Mama, Daughter

On Aunt Ann's patio.


My cousins' tradition continues though my aunt is gone. The last time we joined them, we ate out on their new patio with the scent of sauteing garlic and herbs drifting over the pinks and whites and blues dotting the flower pots. Our meal was mussels, my first time to try them, and a succulent sauce of herb, garlic and white wine that I really wanted to pour in a glass and drink. Susan, who is always in charge of desserts, made a wonderful panna cotta with fresh berries. I don't have her exact recipe, but this one is mighty close.

My grandmother also asked people out to her house for Sunday dinner quite often. The menu was typical Southern fare and usually required a nap afterward. Or as she would say, "I am going to step back to the back for a few minutes." As I have mentioned before, Nana often chronicled her parties on index cards. On Sunday, October 26, 1980 those in attendance were; Copelands (my aunt mentioned above), Rob, and Pat Koch, Frances, Jim and (could not read writing) Wilson, Billy and Ruth McLemore, Hobbs and Dexter, Sam and Nan, Arringtons, Weils, Virginia Cope. She served; turkey breast, Jamaica casserole, avocado and lettuce salad, biscuits, Black Forest cake, Pineapple Delight. I have been searching my grandmother's recipe box and cookbooks for these recipes but have not found them. I am very interested to know what is Jamaica casserole!

As my children are school-age now, I have begun this tradition at our house. Not simply the eating of Sunday dinner, obviously we eat lunch on Sundays, but the preparing of the dinner. I have only been able to accomplish this a few Sundays thus far as that is all our schedule has allowed, but when I have, I for one have loved it. As a nod to my cousin, I prepared a shrimp and pasta dish which Mr. and I loved, the kids not so much. I have also made my second attempt at frying chicken one night as a practice round for the quintessential Sunday dinner entree. And this time around was much more successful than the first time I tried to fry chicken. Mr. made sure he pointed that fact out to me.

Shrimp and Pasta
8 oz angel hair pasta, uncooked
1 cup butter
1 1/2 lbs uncooked, peeled fresh shrimp
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups half and half ( I used heavy cream because that is what I had)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh dill weed or 3/4 tsp dried (I used dried)

Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic. Cook stirring constantly until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp and set aside. Reserve butter and garlic in skillet. Add half and half, or cream, to skillet and bring to a boil stirring gently. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, parsley, salt, pepper and dill weed, stir until blended. Serve over pasta.

Fried Chicken
1 chicken, cut up (you can find these in the meat section)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 egg lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
Vegetable oil

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Combine flour and red pepper in a pie plate. Combine egg and milk in a bowl large enough to dip chicken. Dip chicken in egg mixture and then dredge in flour. Set aside. Pour oil in 10 - 12 inch cast iron skillet to about 1 inch in depth. Heat to 350. Fry chicken over medium heat about 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.


Comments

Popular Posts