True Southern Magnolias

      The Magnolia trees are in bloom. The blossoms smell so sweet and the huge flowers are a creamy white; the petals larger than my hand. They will start to brown once the petal has been touched or falls to the ground. You can make all the tired analogies to Southern women here- sweet, delicate and bruise easily - but it's the entire Magnolia that is the connection. They grow slowly; instant shade they are not. It seems people don't plant Magnolia trees anymore.  I have noticed that there aren't that many Magnolia trees around. You find them in more established yards and neighborhoods, not the newer parts of town. Here is where I begin to make my comparison to Southern women. (Please no one be offended, I am not bashing the east side.)   
     The Magnolia trees make me think of my mother and her generation. The ladies who employ(ed) "the help".  There aren't many left and they tend to congregate in the places they have always been. The drawl is sweet, slow, and deep. They say words like "boo-fay", and use phrases like "ooohhh me". (Ex. "Are you going to suhrve supper boo-fay style?" "I weuhrked in the yard all mornin', oohhh me". Yard means flower bed, by the way.) My mother blames TV for the loss of the old southern drawl; maybe. She lived in Atlanta in the '60's and says that no one is from Atlanta anymore. I think you can say that about most Southern cities. I don't think it is a bad thing. I love my transplanted friends from small Southern towns, and from Yankee-land.  But, there is something about that Southern lady with her perfectly "done" hair and pearls out to pick up a few things.
Mama, Daughter and me on her first birthday.

Comments

Popular Posts